The International Justice Center, a virtual clearinghouse for public education and action in support of the International Criminal Court (ICC) and related human rights concerns. Based both on the web and in the virtual world of Second Life, the International Justice Center will host news, information and live events in support of the ICC.
Today they will be hosting a series of events as part of our official launch, featuring an address by the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Mr. Luis Moreno-Ocampo. After an introduction by Mr. Lloyd Axworthy, the former foreign minister of Canada, the prosecutor will appear "in-world" in avatar form to address the virtual audience, followed by a Question and Answer period.
Schedule of Events
- 3:00-4:00 PM EST: In-world remarks and Q&A with ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo. Mr. Lloyd Axworthy, former foreign minister of Canada, will introduce the Prosecutor.
- 4:30-6:00 PM: Panel discussion by major human rights officials on the topic of “The Emerging International Justice System”. Featuring :
- Jonathan Fanton (President, MacArthur Foundation)
- Moderator: Lloyd Axworthy (President, University of Winnipeg)
- Louise Arbour (United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights)
- Francis Deng (United Nations Special Adviser for Prevention of Genocide and Mass Atrocities)
- Juan Mendes (Director, International Center for Transitional Justice)
- Allan Rock, Former Canadian Ambassador to the United Nations
- Kenneth Roth (Executive Director, Human Rights Watch)
- Luis Moreno-Ocampo (Prosecutor, International Criminal Court)
- 9:00-9:40PM: Award ceremony and keynote address by Mr. Kofi Annan
How to Participate
- Via Second Life: Teleport to the International Justice Center, on the Justice Commons sim at this link
- Via the Web: Click on this link to view on the web live.
- Via the Web: streamed video during the event.
- Via There.com: Sign up here and attend the event at the stage zone.
- Via Whyville: you can attend the event live in the Greek Theater.
You can read more about the event and the International Justice Center on their website, Justicecenter.net