Monday, June 07, 2010

Chatlog of Q&A with Erica Linden at Oxbridge

Erica Linden is a User Experience lead at Linden Lab and this talk was about Viewer 2.0.

[19:00] Vanessa Hamer: Hi Everybody, we're going to get started now. Please welcome Linden Research Software Developer Erica Linden to Oxbridge. She may be using voice, she'll instruct you accordingly
[19:00] Martini Discovolante: hello Red.
[19:00] Erica Linden: Hi gang!
[19:00] Erica Linden: Just waitinf for my face to rez
[19:00] Frans Charming: Looking at your title, are you Dutch?
[19:00] Vanessa Hamer: HI Erica!
[19:00] Red Quixote: ㋡
[19:00] Red Quixote: hello Martini
[19:00] LillieJay Mills: Hello Erica
[19:01] Erica Linden: Does one typically talk in text or voice here?
[19:01] LillieJay Mills: text
[19:01] Jayleden Miles: Text probably would be better for the hearing impaired that might be among us.
[19:01] Eila Eiren: Text please
[19:01] Vanessa Hamer: oh sorry, there's a step on the other side, but you can just click the podium
[19:01] Erica Linden: Sounds good
[19:01] Red Quixote: Hello Auto
[19:02] Erica Linden: `oh my what a great space
[19:02] Erica Linden: I typically have meetings in someone's 2005 era office
[19:03] Erica Linden: So to start, I'll introduce myself, I'm Erica Linden and I'm one of two User Experience leads at Linden Lagb
[19:03] Erica Linden: new keybord sorry for any typeos
[19:03] Kerhop Seattle: an appropriate typo :)
[19:03] LillieJay Mills chuckles at "Lag"b
[19:04] Anna Darwinian: Hey LillieJay :-)
[19:04] Erica Linden: wocka wocka
[19:04] Erica Linden: heh
[19:04] LillieJay Mills: Hi there Anna :)
[19:04] Erica Linden: so one of the fun things about having a Linden last name is that it's impossible to step inworld w/out IMs from random strangers asking for advice
[19:04] Anna Darwinian: Queen Frog?
[19:04] Pacoima Core: ribbet
[19:04] Erica Linden: this just happened. ;)
[19:05] Erica Linden: Some Dutch residents called me that one day, and i was honored
[19:05] Frans Charming: :)
[19:05] Erica Linden: we've had a variety of Frog lindens
[19:05] Erica Linden: I guess we're sort of affiliated with Furries.
[19:05] Erica Linden: The Slimys perhaps?
[19:06] Erica Linden: Right! So, I work primarily on the SL viewer
[19:06] Pacoima Core: it is becoming :)
[19:06] Kerhop Seattle: (there goes the bears)
[19:06] Erica Linden: and in the last year and a half I've worked (along with about 20 of my closest friends) on *dramatic chord* Viewer 2.0
[19:07] Erica Linden: So, all of the things you like in viewer 2 were my idea. And all the things you don't like were the other guy. ;)
[19:07] Erica Linden ducks
[19:07] Tao Mistwalker: :)
[19:07] Frans Charming: lol
[19:07] Kellan McKenna: :D
[19:07] 76 Rain: lol
[19:07] Red Quixote: ^^
[19:07] Savannah Blindside: :)
[19:07] Anna Darwinian: I wondered about that :-)
[19:07] Erica Linden: I have a background in Human compute4r interaction
[19:08] Erica Linden: a masters from the university of michigan, and a VERY useful undergrad degree in English an dLinguistics
[19:08] Frans Charming: haha.
[19:09] Frans Charming: It helps with the typos? :P
[19:09] Anna Darwinian: I bet it helps with reading other people's typos
[19:09] Erica Linden: My daily life consists of trying to juggle the needs of extremely smart and advanced residents, with folks who are new to SL and have computers made of wood.
[19:09] Erica Linden: All within the constraints of a 6 year old codebase
[19:09] Kerhop Seattle: Abacus?
[19:10] ABBI Hunniton: ha
[19:10] Roberto Viking: maybe there should simply be two viewers
[19:10] Roberto Viking: a technical one and a simple one
[19:10] Savannah Blindside passes Miss Linden some of the good chocolate and a bottle of asprin
[19:10] Erica Linden: to display content that I can barely begin to imagine
[19:10] Erica Linden: the wonderful thing about SL is that it is entirely user generated
[19:11] Erica Linden: but as a designer that means i have no idea how long the names of things will be, how many million items folks will have in their inventory, what level of complexity an object will have, etc
[19:12] Erica Linden: so it's sometimes a challenge to get it right the first time
[19:12] Erica Linden: we're about to release our early 2.1 beta version
[19:12] LillieJay Mills cheers
[19:12] Quinn Skyther: I guess 'checkspell' is too cutting edge to make its way into a legacy viewer
[19:12] Kerhop Seattle: thank heaven for decimal versions
[19:13] Frans Charming: Great!
[19:13] Kellan McKenna: yay :)
[19:13] Erica Linden: which will address a bunch of the things folks have been totally annoyed by
[19:13] Erica Linden: believe it or not, we live and die by the popular pjira issues
[19:13] Vanessa Hamer: that's SO refreshing to hear
[19:14] Erica Linden: even though it is absolutely TERRIFIYING to go in there and comment. ;)
[19:14] Kerhop Seattle: do they affect your performance reviews?
[19:14] Erica Linden: and unfortunatly, many of the things folks want are pretty darn difficult to wrangle
[19:14] Erica Linden: our performance reviews are quarterly and are affected by a bunch of things including the quality of work we have produced and the reviews of our coworkers
[19:15] Anna Darwinian: Hovertext penetrating opaque walls is difficult to wrangle?
[19:15] Erica Linden: the jira's we've worked on are a big part of it, yes
[19:15] Erica Linden: heh
[19:15] Erica Linden: maybe a bit
[19:15] Kerhop Seattle: ok :)
[19:15] Be Ewing: Erica -- it seems to me that we live and experience daily ... why are your reviews only quarterly?
[19:16] Erica Linden: and there's lots of fun stuff that's just getting quietly worked on in the background that we can't announce because it takes like a full quarter to qa some of it (cough cough mesh)
[19:16] Frans Charming smiles
[19:16] Anna Darwinian: :-)
[19:16] Be Ewing: Erica - but that's just it
[19:16] Erica Linden: i'm hoping these small things that you mention Victorian will be given more attention in the coming months
[19:16] Be Ewing: we experience 2nd Life without time dimensions
[19:17] Antique School Desks: Unable to find specified agent to request permissions.
[19:17] Be Ewing: and expect things to be delivered instantaneously
[19:17] Asimov Starsmith: hehe
[19:17] Erica Linden: I'm very proud of our viewer team for doing two things in this latest build - 1) focusing on the top pjira and bugs from the betatesters (stuff like the sidetray covering the world vs moving it over)
[19:18] Frans Charming nods
[19:19] Erica Linden: and 2) changing our scope quickly based on data and going from some feature-add stuff to focusing entirely and obsessively on CRASHES AND FRAMERATE
[19:19] Erica Linden: It has been really cool to watch.
[19:19] Erica Linden: and by focus, i mean Everybody.
[19:19] meghan Flinders: do you have residents test this before things like not being able to see chat easily and screen being covered would be picked up much quicker by
[19:19] Erica Linden: meghen - indeed we do
[19:19] meghan Flinders: and they didnt notice?
[19:20] Erica Linden: there were 500 NDA'd testers on viewer 2
[19:20] Erica Linden: several of which worked in our internal jira and filed bugs
[19:20] Kerhop Seattle: Speaking of framerates, any chance we could get an updated version of ?
[19:21] Erica Linden: and yep, they noticed. and we thought "ah, it'll be ok" and "not really a big deal" and other such inaccuate things. And got swept up in the 45,000 other things that needed fixing.
[19:21] Erica Linden: so, yeah. my bad, and it's now an option in preferences. it's really a personal preference, and i'm glad we let folks choose now.
[19:22] Frans Charming: Thank you for admitting that. :)
[19:22] Erica Linden: Frans - I wish I made great decisions all of the time.
[19:22] Erica Linden: sigh.
[19:23] Erica Linden: but so, it's pretty easy to get thinking the DIFFICULTproblems are the ones to focus on
[19:23] Frans Charming: That's ok. It is refreshing to hear someone say they made a mistake sometimes. :)
[19:23] Erica Linden: and ignore the tiny easy to change things
[19:24] Trance Mistwallow: erica. do you think in future that SL resources will be more evenly distributed between new AND old residents. i.e. When you are a new account crossing sim borders and teleports etc are instantaneous whereas once your inventory hits about 10,000 and u wear a few attachments these things take much much longer, not to mention the tp probs, it seems to me that although front end customer service and experiance is prioritised that i am always hearing from older residents that the second life experiance suffers greatly the more you accumulate over time, will this always be a problem with SL do you think? or will perhaps a new system be developed maybe a multiple-object-thread loading system for people with larger inventories but who are not unfairly overusing sim resources?...
[19:24] Erica Linden: it's kind of silly how many giant mountains we've been climbing to clean up stuff in the background (I personally touched and cleaned up every single panel and floater in the viewer to make sure there was consistancy and clean layout) and just kind of write off little things
[19:25] Erica Linden: hmm Trance - that's several questions - let me try and pull it apart
[19:25] Erica Linden: so first, yes resources should be pretty evenly distributed
[19:26] Trance Mistwallow: ok
[19:27] Erica Linden: and believe it or not, they were with viewer 2, but the line "new users" kept getting used as a substitute for "lord there's no way we have time to do that too" and considering the desparate need to clean up 1.23 in the background /code level, it ended up being more of a cleanup than a ZOMG new features build.
[19:27] Trance Mistwallow: i guess all i am trying to ask in a nutshell is that will similar resources be expended in keeping the SL experiance a fluid one with older residents as well as the newcomers?
[19:27] Trance Mistwallow: ][_ (( )) ][_
[19:27] Trance Mistwallow: i see
[19:28] Erica Linden: happily, because of the 2.0 cleanup work (killing embedded text strings, widgetizing ui stuff, etc etc) it's way faster now to iterate UI and fix stuff
[19:28] Trance Mistwallow: 2.0 plus is faster. :)
[19:29] Be Ewing: Erica -- I do have one question here
[19:29] Erica Linden: so - re: lots of inventory = lag i'm not the best person to address that, but i do know that there are some things that are purely related to the speed and power of yr graphics card (another thing that varies person to person)
[19:29] Be Ewing: I come to 2nd Life just to enjoy the experience and meet/learn from others
[19:29] Vanessa Hamer: Be? Please let Erica get to Victorian's Q first, so she's not overwhelmed
[19:30] Be Ewing: I still have older viewer .... but newer one too
[19:30] Trance Mistwallow: sure i understand that, i am merely reffering to the universal problems that all residents have over a cetain age, but i can save these questions for another occasion...
[19:30] Trance Mistwallow: also 10,000 is actually a small amount of inventory for someone a year or 2 old, mines is 30,000
[19:30] Be Ewing: Don't you think it would be good to switch back to older policy where at a certain point everyone switches to same viewer though others exist elsewhere?
[19:31] Erica Linden: Re: Disneyland (tm) - I think our old new user experience was really good for folks who like to figure it out themselves, explore, and twiddle various controls. However, there's also a bunch of folks who are potentially awesome residents and creators who jsut hit our new user experience and EXPLODE.
[19:32] Trance Mistwallow: ][_ (( )) ][_
[19:32] Erica Linden: one of the things i did early in my time at linden is run a ton of inperson user observations
[19:32] Erica Linden: we brought in random folks from different demographics who had never used secondlife and essentially watched them fail
[19:32] Patti Larimore: Are new residents going to be asked to fill out questionaire..on their interests..and then be placed in gateways to you know? Or are they already
[19:33] Erica Linden: and as someone who's job it is to make things easier, it was really hard to watch
[19:33] Trance Mistwallow: i hear in the future there may be a questionare at account creation so when they are lopgged on for first time they are placed in best location for their interests and with relevent info, as everyone has slightly diff resons to be here, is this true?
[19:33] meghan Flinders: tbh.......almost everyone starts as free account and to not be able to ask support questionsfor problems is a turnoff....
[19:33] Erica Linden: so, as in education, different people learn in different ways
[19:34] Erica Linden: and it's important to provide different avenues
[19:34] Quinn Skyther: Optimizing for shopping KA/KT makes SL look like a bloated 3D Google appliance
[19:34] Erica Linden: many people I watched learned by communicating with others - asking questions and pestering folks. ;) Many others read every word in front of them and loved notecards and tutorials
[19:35] Erica Linden: and others would rather eat glass than take a tutorial.
[19:35] Trance Mistwallow: so true erica
[19:35] Erica Linden: and our job really, is to provide access to information that is palatable to all these learning types
[19:35] Erica Linden: and really try to communicate WHY SL is so compelling.
[19:36] Erica Linden: and honestly (for me) that was hard to do in 1.23
[19:36] Tao Mistwalker: Oddly, I never had to take a class on the old viewer, tho. I feel completely lost in the new one.
[19:36] Erica Linden: because before we could even get to the "zomg look castles!" part of SL, folks were bailing because they couldnt figure out how to walk
[19:37] Erica Linden: and um we looked like shareware
[19:37] Trance Mistwallow: thats because u are so used to the old viewer, even though i find it hard too, fact is 2.0 plus IS more consistent with other web software
[19:37] Frans Charming: Tao, I have given RL classes with the 1.23 viewer. People are generaly lost quickly.
[19:37] Erica Linden: so the good news is SL tests way better with new users under viewer 2
[19:37] Antique School Desks: Unable to find specified agent to request permissions.
[19:37] Erica Linden: since it's more consistant, and there are a few more familiar UI metaphors
[19:38] Erica Linden: but that in no way solves the problem
[19:38] Trance Mistwallow: understandable
[19:38] Patti Larimore: Perhaps...but 1/2 this room is using 3rd party viewer, one that seems more user friendly.
[19:38] Erica Linden: and the next step is to figure out how to hook people up quickly with stuff that is intersting to them
[19:38] Erica Linden: patti - re; 3rd party viewers - well i certainly hope folks are using the viewer that works best for them!
[19:39] Erica Linden: that's why we are open source
[19:39] Ni Rumble: And has jiggly boob physics! :p
[19:39] Kellan McKenna giggles
[19:39] Erica Linden: also important!
[19:39] Frans Charming: stand still Erica, else Ni gets distracted.
[19:39] Patti Larimore: lol
[19:39] Trance Mistwallow: ][_ (( )) ][_
[19:39] Kerhop Seattle: Has LL collected any gpu statistics for viewer 2 in order to update
[19:39] Erica Linden: The great thing about being a frog is you don't ever have to worry about your hair or makeup
[19:39] Marion Questi: Good to hear the 2.0 tests well with new users. Is it helping with retetion and Premium conversion?
[19:39] Erica Linden: Kerhop - oh heck yes
[19:40] Vanessa Hamer: Great gown though!
[19:40] Savannah Blindside: I was about to say; a very well dressed frog!
[19:40] Erica Linden: as a matter of fact, since we've upgraded some our stat collection software, we've gotten a much better idea of the type of processing power new users have
[19:41] Erica Linden: and literally, priorities changed overnight
[19:41] Trance Mistwallow: ][_ (( )) ][_
[19:41] Trance Mistwallow: i can only speak for myself vis a vis emerald vs 2.0plus, emerald has comprehensive radar, useful for quickly spotting new residents who might be a little lost, and of course theres phantom lock, would be lost without that
[19:41] Kerhop Seattle: I'll be shopping for a new gpu later this year and it'd be nice to know which ones perform better similar to the chart on that web page
[19:41] Patti Larimore: How does the stat collection software work?...surveys...? or
[19:41] Erica Linden: sadly, most people coming into welcome island are using balsa wood and chewing gum computers
[19:41] Be Ewing: All -- I definitely am in the minority ... but don't you think most people just want to sign on and communicate and use 2nd Life and be transparent to all of these developer questions?
[19:42] Erica Linden: patti - again i'm a bit vague on the statistics but it's something serverside that figures out aggrigate % of different graphics cards and ram
[19:42] clank trader shouts: Ouch!!
[19:42] Erica Linden: as a result our QA folks started collecting really old computers
[19:42] Erica Linden: we shipped a bunch to offices all over the country
[19:42] Erica Linden: and everything is getting retested for average framerate
[19:42] Kerhop Seattle: no netbooks or iPhones?
[19:43] Erica Linden: Kerhop - I wish
[19:43] Kerhop Seattle: :)
[19:43] Frans Charming: That is good to hear.
[19:43] Kerhop Seattle: cool
[19:43] Erica Linden: right - so where was I?
[19:43] Erica Linden: I know i missed some questions
[19:43] Erica Linden: !!
[19:43] Erica Linden: heh
[19:44] Patti Larimore: Was curious about the entry survey.....
[19:44] Erica Linden: I don't think that is a problem
[19:44] Erica Linden: oh the viewer 2 survey?
[19:44] Trance Mistwallow: yes
[19:44] Patti Larimore: if there was going to be one. I am education manager for GOHA and ....was told
[19:44] Patti Larimore: new residents would be filling out survey
[19:44] Erica Linden: i wasn't involved in making that but it was intended as a way to get info from people in a friendlier way that pjira
[19:44] Patti Larimore: if they are interested in winter sports for ex. they go to that gateway
[19:45] Quinn Skyther: Survey's don't work well when users don't know what they don't know
[19:45] Erica Linden: a couple of the release managers and qa have been squishing the feedback into actionable jira for us
[19:45] Erica Linden: (actionable and drama-free)
[19:45] Erica Linden: Quinn - SO true
[19:45] Patti Larimore: Excellent point the gateway will be manned
[19:45] Patti Larimore: volunteers
[19:45] Patti Larimore: hopefull:))
[19:46] Erica Linden: imho, the best way to tell how someone works with software is to observe them using it
[19:46] Erica Linden: and the best way to get folks to cool content is to provide a bunch of browsable options
[19:47] Patti Larimore: lol
[19:47] Be Ewing: so net net bottomline ... I am a straight user ... giving you most direct feedback ... and you seem to be totally oblivious to the value of this feedback interactively given
[19:47] Quinn Skyther: I was surprised to see a lack of 3GL-like look and feel skins
[19:47] Ni Rumble: Touching on Trance's question concerning massive inventory accumulation...will SL ever allow the back up of inventory to hard drive? Or would that just make it too easy for people to pirate content?
[19:47] Be Ewing: wouldn't best way to get feedback to have 2nd life interactive sessions here rather than pjira/jira etc?
[19:48] Erica Linden: I rather hate those websites, like my insurance company, that ask you "are you a customer or an employee" and you don't know which to pick because you are an employee SOMEWHERE and your COMPANY is a customer and you don't want to miss any good options so you end up picking both. ;)
[19:48] Erica Linden: or university sites tend to do this
[19:48] Erica Linden: Students | Faculty | Researchers
[19:48] Erica Linden: people are often all three!
[19:48] Erica Linden: it's pretty difficult to define yourself in that way
[19:49] Erica Linden: Ni - lord i have no idea
[19:49] Be Ewing: Erica -- I will try one mor time
[19:49] Kerhop Seattle: even "male or female?" is tough for some people ;)
[19:49] Be Ewing: I am an individual user of your product
[19:49] Erica Linden: pirating is definitely something we all want to prevent
[19:49] Be Ewing: I am not affiliated with any organization
[19:50] Jayleden Miles: Be please be patient and let Erica have a chance at answering everyones questions and concerns.
[19:50] Vanessa Hamer: ty Professor Miles
[19:50] Erica Linden: Be - i'm try9ing to read scrollback - your question is pretty spread out
[19:50] Kellan McKenna nods
[19:51] Erica Linden: are you asking if i think there should be One Viewer to Rule them All?
[19:51] Tao Mistwalker: lol
[19:51] Erica Linden: or are you suggesting inworld sessions such as this for gathering feedback?
[19:52] Savannah Blindside: I think there was also a suggestion about an alternative to jira - more live help
[19:52] Vanessa Hamer: Miss Erica, it appears Be has left
[19:52] Erica Linden: ah ok
[19:52] LillieJay Mills thinks Be meant the latter but doesn't see her anymore
[19:52] Erica Linden: oh
[19:52] Kerhop Seattle votes for the latter
[19:52] Erica Linden: well i will try to answer anyway
[19:52] Trance Mistwallow: i think most ppl who use 3rd party viewers would say there are prob one or 2 features that are the reason they use that viewer, is good to havethe choice i think
[19:53] Erica Linden: re: jira vs live help - live help is pretty hard to scale over 10,000 users a day or whatever the numbers are lately
[19:53] Erica Linden: it is very costly
[19:53] Erica Linden: and we are a free service for the majority of residents
[19:53] Marion Questi: Have you been able to measure the impact of V2 on new user retention and Premium account conversions?
[19:54] Erica Linden: jira serves a different purpose - it's a way to catch the comments and patches from open source contributors and residents patient and passionate enough to deal with jira
[19:54] Professor Viper: you had a lot of volunteer help, the Mentors, and you shut them down
[19:55] Patti Larimore: Erica..Trance and I ...and maybe others in the room..are members or sl Mentoring programs...part of RHN.....does LL have any way..or any reason to keep track of how many residents provide assistance to new residents
[19:55] Trance Mistwallow: the new RHN system sems to be working better than the old one group system
[19:55] Patti Larimore: LL supports RHN and many Lindens are members I understand
[19:55] Trance Mistwallow: i have seen a great surge in enthusiams on the front line at welcome areas since its introduction
[19:55] Erica Linden: Professor Viper and Patti - I'm not very up to date on the Mentor vs RHN issues unfortunately
[19:56] Trance Mistwallow: ][_ (( )) ][_
[19:56] Trance Mistwallow: ... maybe we're going off topic
[19:56] Kerhop Seattle: hmm, it seems if mentors/rhn volunteers are hanging out at welcome areas to new residents of V2 that they should be involved with V2 stuff. given a heads up, common questions about V2,e tc....
[19:57] Patti Larimore: Kerhop..true..most are
[19:57] Trance Mistwallow: yes i agree to an extent
[19:57] Patti Larimore: I use both viewers....
[19:57] Trance Mistwallow: i am hoping we can repeat this meeting with the RHN groups at next convenience
[19:57] Erica Linden: Kerhop - that's why we try so hard to announce and release beta versions (which often are buggy!) despite their not-readyness
[19:57] Patti Larimore: But LL has done an excellent job of providing tutorials in help areas
[19:58] Kerhop Seattle: 'tis true
[19:58] Erica Linden: it's a way to get feedback, iterate, and most of all give folks a headsup on what is coming
[19:58] Trance Mistwallow: there are too few of these sessions
[19:58] Erica Linden: similarly, the tech blogs have been really active in posting mockups, proposed features, etc
[19:58] Vanessa Hamer: Hey guys, one more question, I don't want to keep Erica too long.
[19:58] Professor Viper: I would use V2 more often, but every time I switch, eiter way, it resets all of my preferences
[19:59] Patti Larimore: Would be excellent if Lindens could on occasion with mentor groups ....
[19:59] Patti Larimore: At least heads of groups
[19:59] meghan Flinders: Erica..what are the changes we will see with viewer 2.1
[19:59] Savannah Blindside: I've had that happend and I *hadn't* switched viewers
[19:59] Kerhop Seattle: I like PViper's question
[19:59] Erica Linden: it's the fist time i've worked like that and I really like it. I was converted. it was pretty scary at first to post my proposed design document to the blog - flaming is pretty depressing, but Nyx and I got amazing feedback and I think we made better decisions because of it
[19:59] Erica Linden: reading up...
[20:00] meghan Flinders: there are many mentor groups..possbbly leave meetings open to all
[20:00] Trance Mistwallow: i have asked erica in IM if she is willing to repeat this meeting, i have offered to gather all RHN groups at one venue so all who want can be there
[20:00] Patti Larimore: Any connection..information sharing...I agree
[20:01] Erica Linden: ah - preferences resetting - yeah. switching back and forth has it's charms.
[20:01] Erica Linden: personally, I save a copy of my settings file and replace it when i upgrade (if i'm not testing new user experience)
[20:01] Quinn Skyther: Hard to focus features of on a "generic experience" engine. What is the LL prototypical user experience reference? Gamer? Shopper? Business Collaborator?
[20:01] Professor Viper: how do you do that
[20:02] Professor Viper: file name?
[20:02] Erica Linden: it depends partly on whether the version you are going to has teh same app name - so if you install a new version of SL Beta 2.1 over an old version Zap go your settings
[20:02] Trance Mistwallow: i would say, chat room user, networking etc
[20:02] Pacoima Core: I have a simple question?
[20:02] Erica Linden: Viper - in mac they are in library > aplication settings > sl
[20:02] Vanessa Hamer: That'll be it after Pacoima's, OK?
[20:03] Professor Viper: how about PC
[20:03] Trance Mistwallow: before you log off erica could you quickly respond to the IM i sent? and.. thanks so much for your patience
[20:03] Pacoima Core: is it worth my $10 /month to use tech support?
[20:03] Erica Linden: Trance - i'd be happy to - re: viewer 2.1 features - there is going to be a blog post really soon and i don't wanna steal their thunder
[20:03] Trance Mistwallow: perhaps after the blog release?
[20:03] Pacoima Core: in lieu of attending clases in worlk?
[20:03] meghan Flinders: where will that be?
[20:04] Vanessa Hamer: I think Pacoima's "Premium Membership" question is a great one to close on.
[20:04] Erica Linden: Pacoima - I'm not sure I can answer that - are you asking about the value propasition?
[20:04] Erica Linden: ah
[20:04] Erica Linden: ok
[20:04] Pacoima Core: i guess so
[20:05] Erica Linden: again, that's a personal decision. our support folks have gotten great reviews, and Linden homes is pretty cool.
[20:05] Patti Larimore: Thank you very Much Erica..for this. Interesting.
[20:05] Erica Linden: Yo I just make software though.
[20:05] Erica Linden: ;)
[20:05] Erica Linden: You do what you've gotta do.
[20:05] Vanessa Hamer: Erica, thanks SO much!
[20:05] Tao Mistwalker: Yes, thank you for your time, Erica... :)
[20:05] Frans Charming: Thank you Erica.
[20:05] Kellan McKenna: Thank you Erica! :)
[20:06] Erica Linden: Thank you - I'm really glad to hear your questions.
[20:06] Trance Mistwallow: thankyou so much
[20:06] Pacoima Core: ♫♪♪♫ APPLAUSE!!! ♫♪♪♫
[20:06] Savannah Blindside applaudes
[20:06] Q-Translator v0.21 - English: Too many HTTP requests too fast.
[20:06] Frans Charming applauds
[20:06] Erica Linden: Dinner awaits!
[20:06] Ariell Enoch: thank you
[20:06] Erica Linden: :)
[20:06] Jilich Lavendel: great presentation
[20:06] Carl Metropolitan: Thank you for coming.
[20:06] Vanessa Hamer: Thanks to all who attended as well
[20:06] Quinn Skyther: Thanks for the information.
[20:06] Pacoima Core: for she's a jolly good fella.....
[20:06] Erica Linden: hee
[20:06] Erica Linden: ribbit

1 comment:

  1. We've heard no end of lectures from Linden fanboyz -- and been implicitly instructed by Lindens themselves -- to embrace the inevitable, adapt to change, blah blah blah.

    But we see here what's really going on: abject fear from these Lindens of any criticism. Fear of putting their proposals in public on the forums and getting legitimately negative feedback, because they are out of touch, living in some wonky design world, some geeky meta-space where they don't have to try to run *a business* with this outrageously -- sinisterly -- broken search.

    I don't know what to do with them. I've never seen a bigger disconnect with reality in my life.

    And the sheer *snottyness* of saying that newbies have balsa wood computers. Shame on you, Lindens for making stuff that doesn't fit with the ordinary, averge mass person's compute bought off the shelf in the ordinary mass consumer store, and not assembled from parts in San Francisco. Imagine, having to ship you "old" computers from "the rest of the country" which are just normal computers we all have to buy because...we don't assemble things from the latest Silicon Valley inventions. When are you going to stop hating your own customers, and get into sync with them? The culture gap is so huge, there's no longer any possibility to dialogue with you. You deserve to be overthrown.