Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The inspiration of (epic) everyday places

After spending some time here in New York City, a much taller, busier place than I'm used to, I've noticed that I'm instantly drawn to architecture of tall things--- namely, any skyscraper that I can see from my rooftop perch here on the 43rd floor of my hotel.

In the year and a half I've been in SL, I have noticed consistently that my desire to go outside and stare upwards at buildings has increased dramatically-- even equating real world builds to SL builders. If you're ever in my town, I'll show you the new local YMCA--- it's a Juro Kothari build if I ever saw one.

I tend to be a skyscraper junkie, both pre- and post- megaprims. But materials be damned, the prim counts are high, and it seems that a favorite pasttime of people is base jumping off the top, floating 300 m down to the surface in most cases. Seigmancer Nino knows me well, as his towers are my little 3D addition; as well as our own Lordfly, whose Grignano Towers live again (because inventories are dumb places to keep Great Builds).

I'll be paying closer attention to the NYC-based SLers' work and take cues. I've seen Aimee Weber's signature all over this town-- not because she had anything to do with it, but because she carries the City That Always Rezzes forth into the virtual space.

Even the Reuters build in SL--- on an island, with a lot of trees and space, has video monitors that mimic the Reuters building's screens in Times Square. This, was an exciting discovery.

I'm certain my own personal moving-around-prims style (read: building) style will change the more I stare up and down at these monuments of urban existence. If all goes well, my camera will be filled with gigabytes of texture ideas and sources that I'm more than happy to share with those that haven't quite made the journey to the Big Apple.

Gawd, I love this town.

1 comment:

  1. How fun to get to visit the big apple. Your post reminded me of when I also visited for the first time a couple years ago and just fell in love with it. My city by the bay is lovely, but they can't build 'em like NYC can...earthquakes prevent it.
    Can't wait to see what you bring into sl for us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete